Friday, August 15, 2014

James Gunn: I hate most blockbusters – Le Figaro

INTERVIEW – The director of the Guardians of the Galaxy intends to stand out films traditional superhero space opera with its crazy

James Gunn is the director of the Disney / Marvel The Guardians of the Galaxy which cases currently at the American box office and made a nice blockbuster first day in France. For the director, known for his rather foutraques low-budget films, find themselves at the helm of a blockbuster is a novelty. It is however not totally sold to the devil, his crazy movie debunks all the cliches of the genre with a good dose of humor and engaging characters. Besides, James Gunn himself said: apart his soft spot for The Avengers , it does not like blockbusters

Le Figaro. – How was the shoot?

James Gunn. – We had to learn how each worked, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel and me. In some ways, we are like the “Guardians.” I’m the guy who made low budget films there a few years ( Slither in 2006 Super in 2010), Zoe was this little queen Queens (New York area), Chris was this chubby and David (Bautista) guys, this wrestler that no one took seriously. We all identify with the idea that one is marginal, so the fact of making this film in particular, which is the focus of all the attention, it is a strange experience for us. Just last year, when people saw a first sequence at Comic Con, it was new to me to have so many eyes on me.

How did you manage to impose your ideas in this universe?

I wanted to do my own thing. I felt freedom because usually, when I was doing movies, it was hard to find the support I need for marketing. I am grateful to Marvel because every time I came up with a proposal a little crazy, they adopted him and I could enjoy myself. It’s much more comfortable to work like that. I was excited, it was promising.

I like the idea of ​​being able to do something that is in harmony with this world (blockbusters), which would be both different from this one. This film is 100% me. The most important thing is that people fall in love with the characters and feel something in the process. If laughing is even better. That’s what matters to me being completely honest with myself as a filmmaker.

Is it a satire of traditional blockbusters?

This is not a satire, not a reaction. I do not care about anyone, but it is true that I hate most bockbusters, really. Apart The Avengers , as they are films made with heart, mind and good characters. But most blockbusters are an endless profusion of explosions and action scenes with cans or they are so dark that it’s just a shield to hide the fact that there are no characters emotion behind. I hate it. I have nothing against popular movies or movies expensive, but I do not want to do something that is dishonest.

How did you manage to bring the comedy in action

In the past I’ve done comedy films and I did not want confuse my audience so it was quite natural for me to find the balance between action and comedy. It happened spontaneously, everything comes from the characters, things that excite me or make me laugh. I let them play and interact with each other and see what happens. I always wanted to do the action without being able financially. When I did the first scenes, it was great. Having so many characters and adventures, be required to disclose all information and make people have fun at the same time, it was what he was most difficult.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment