Seventeen architectural works of Le Corbusier, including ten in France, are now included in the UNESCO World Heritage. The organization of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization announced the news on Twitter, Sunday, July 17. The announcement came from Istanbul, where the 40 th Session of the World Heritage resumed Sunday, interrupted Saturday after a failed attempt of coup in Turkey.
L the work of the Franco-Swiss architect was one of the two applications submitted by France, with the volcanoes of Auvergne. The achievements of Le Corbusier had already been presented in 2009 and 2011, without success. The International Council on Monuments and Sites (Icomos), responsible to appraise the records, this time recommending the inclusion of “architectural work of Le Corbusier, an outstanding contribution to the Modern Movement” that is to say a set of seventeen buildings worn by seven countries: Argentina, Belgium, France, India, Japan and Switzerland. Among the sites of the architect who joined listed as the “Radiant City,” in Marseilles, but also a district of Firminy (center-east of France), the second largest site after that of Le Corbusier Chandigarh (India ).
this probably made the difference this year. “The 2016 bid relied heavily on previous failures , had said before the vote Benoît Cornu, chairman of the Association of Sites Le Corbusier who wore candidacy alongside the Fondation Le Corbusier and the Ministry of culture. Icomos had deemed too bloated and eclectic series, and especially regretted the absence of Chandigarh site in India, which showed the urban dimension of the work. “
After the announcement of the vote Sunday, Mr. Cronu was glad in a statement that ” good news (…) after more than ten years of work , consultation and two failures. ” “This is now, valuing it become World Heritage, to protect and to bequeath to our heirs in the best conditions for them to do the same” , he added .
the Minister of Culture and Communication, Audrey Azoulay, also welcomed the decision of Unesco, noting she emphasized “the importance of preserving and enhancement of the recent heritage, within a hundred years “.
Session cut short because of the Turkish news
According to Marc Petit , member of the French delegation present, the 40th session of the World Heritage ends Sunday evening, instead of Wednesday due to the Turkish news. “A special session should be held in Paris next September for applications that have not been examined in Istanbul” , he told AFP. In all, 29 sites were to be submitted to vote during this session
However, Unesco has been able to vote several other inscriptions in the heritage list, announced Sunday. Harbour Antigua and archaeological sites surrounding (Antilles), modern set of Pampulha, Brazil, and Khangchendzonga National park, India. The fate of the volcanos and fault Limagne (Auvergne) should be decided in the afternoon.
Several other sites have already joined the list July 15, the cemetery stecci medieval tombs (transboundary site on the BiH territory, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia), the fortified city of Philippi, Greece, the dolmens of Antequera, Spain, the medieval city of Ani, Turkey, the caves of Gorham, in the UK, but also natural and archaeological sites in China, India, Iran and Micronesia (Pacific). Other sites were inscribed in the Unesco Heritage “at risk”, five archaeological sites in Libya.
Post a Comment