Friday, May 13, 2016

Cannes after his joke about Woody Allen, Laurent Laffite plead naivety – The Obs

What was the intention of Laurent Laffite? Everyone wondered what was going through the head of the actor during the opening ceremony of the 66 th Cannes Film Festival Wednesday, May 11 evening. During his speech, he had chained the gates on the American director Woody Allen, whose film, Café Society, was screened in preview. And one of those jokes were particularly attracted media attention:

“It’s good that you are in France because in recent years you have toured extensively in Europe, then you are even not convicted of rape in the United States. “

the allusion to director Roman Polanski sued for sex with a minor in the United States, was clear. But everyone also made the link with the charges relate to Woody Allen. Earlier in the day, the son of film director, Ronan Farrow, had published an article about her sister, who accuses her father of sexual assault, and its difficulties to speak publicly.

Lafitte, Allen and rape: behind the dubious joke, suspicions

Some commentators felt that Laurent Laffite made a bad joke. Others thought he was actually poking an untouchable show business. The stories of the Allen family are widely documented in the press, and the publication of the gallery of one of its members had taken place the same day. Many had tipped to the second option. There is nothing, meets Friday, May 13 Laurent Laffite. In an interview even “Hollywood Reporter”, the French Comedy societary returns details on this mini-controversy of which Cannes has the secret. Excerpts of his argument.



He did not think about the Allen case

“After the ceremony, I was told that there were strong reactions. [ ...] When I wrote that joke, it was more of a joke about Europe and why one of the greatest American filmmakers spent years in Europe, while Allen had not needed because he was not charged with rape in her own country, unlike Roman Polanski.

it was a joke on American Puritanism and the fact that it is surprising that an American director wants to turn as many films in Europe. I do not know for the other case. “

Nothing to do with the gallery of Ronan Farrow

” what I’ve learned this morning is that the son of Woody Allen published an article relaying accusations yesterday. I do not know. [...] I wrote that joke there three weeks. “

it has not bothered Woody Allen

“at the dinner that followed, Thierry Fremaux told me he had gone to ask Woody if the joke had embarrassed but said he was not. He said: ‘I found this funny “

He regrets

” This is a storm in a teacup, and it’s a shame. because I tried my best to write something that is funny every 20 seconds. On a 45-minute speech was the only thing that will remain. It’s sad. Catherine Deneuve made the drive from Paris just for a kiss. That’s the magic of Cannes. “


If he had known …

” Yes, I would have removed this joke. [...] I was not in that spirit. I did not want to hurt anyone. If I knew that it could be misinterpreted, I will not get it done. “


The joke has yet been validated

” When we repeated during the afternoon before the ceremony, Thierry Fremaux and Pierre Lescure were delighted with these jokes and text. “

and he dropped another joke

” There was a joke Nicole Kidman, Thierry Fremaux and asked if she could embarrass. I did not want to bother anyone, so I do not make that joke. There are many other jokes that I decided not to tell, but they came during the writing of speeches over the past four weeks. I got rid of many jokes. “


It is not easy Cannes, and more

” Cannes is very special, because no one has seen the films. It’s not like the Oscars or Cesar, because there is nothing to say about the movies that have not yet been planned. “


But the joke about Scientology was seriously

“I do not know [of Scientology]. And maybe there are some [who responded to my joke]. But I’m offended by people who subject others to interrogation and steal their money. “

Now we wonder q ual joke wanted to Laurent Lafitte on Nicole Kidman. But as th n on what the Polanski / Woody Allen is related to American Puritanism. Any idea?

Donald Hebert

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment