On the occasion of the distribution of Casablanca tonight on Arte, here are 5 things to know about the masterpiece of Michael Curtiz, led by Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart.
What is it about?
In Casablanca during World War II, the hottest nightclub in town is run by Rick Blaine, an American in exile. But there is also a refuge for those who wish to obtain the necessary papers to leave the country. When Rick evening sees land a political dissident Victor Laszlo and his wife Ilsa, what is not his surprise to find in these circumstances the great love of his life …
It happens when?
This Sunday, August 30 at 20:45 on Arte.
1. If the use of the term “chef -d’oeuvre “is often overused, it is not so when it comes to talk of Casablanca. Indeed, Michael Curtiz’s film, released in theaters in 1942, came in second place in the ranking of the 100 best films of all time by the American Film Institute (AFI), just behind Citizen Kane by Orson Welles, . released a year earlier
= & gt; See other masterpieces, according to AFI
2. A true masterpiece, whose shooting has been somewhat chaotic. Married at the time to Mayo Methot, Humphrey Bogart regularly suffered the wrath of his wife, convinced that he had a relationship outside the trays Ingrid Bergman with her partner. The latter has had to deal with a co-star particularly tense and stressed. You will agree, these little annoyances do not affect the chemistry on screen.
3. The script was written from day to day, which n ‘ has not failed to destabilize the company of actors, eager to finish quickly with the film. Humphrey Bogart clung regularly with director Michael Curtiz. Ingrid Bergman was, in turn, somewhat disoriented because without a completed script, she did not know the two men with whom her character was supposed to finish! Curtiz, very philosopher, then advised him “The play between the two” .
4. And precisely this purpose, let’s talk. A poignant end who will snatch the most sensitive of us, some totally justified tears. But in 1987, another copy of the film was sent to Rio Festival: In this release, Ingrid Bergman did not take the plane and ended up in the arms of his great love Humphrey Bogart. Even if we all dreamed, Casablanca would not be what it is with this happy end , of which only a few have benefited festival. No regrets.
5. The film has been shot during the Second World War, production was not allowed to turn into an overnight airport, as suggested by the scenario. The team therefore had to compete ingenuity to can the famous final scene. This is indeed a plane that is seen behind the protagonists. But a plane … cardboard! To give an illusion of grandeur, the crew members are played by little people. The movie magic …
Michel & amp; Michel pay tribute to the greatest masterpieces of cinema
False Connection Issues Bonus