Friday, September 11, 2015

At the Lyon Biennale, Ralph Rugoff, semiotician art – The World

Ralph Rugoff, September 6th.

Ralph Rugoff, guest curator at the 13 th Lyon Biennale, is a strange bird. Born in 1956 in New York, he grew up in Greenwich Village, New York, between a father distributor of films and psychoanalyst mother, in a street where, at the age of 9 years, Ralph saw the little s’ Bob Dylan install: Mr Tambourine Man was the first record I bought, so you can imagine …”

No wonder, in these circumstances , that when joined Brown University, he then chooses a new curriculum, semiotics: “They abandoned after ten years, so I do not have many colleagues now. But we were crazy to Deleuze and Guattari, which are gods in the United States, and we worked a lot on film, including French, Godard in Melville. Semiotics is the analysis of visual signs, I learned a lot from that. And since my adolescence, I had artist friends and I spent time in their workshops. Their reality counterbalances the theory I was taught. “

He became a journalist and art critic, before rubbing her first exhibitions, California, where he will spend twenty years. One of his exploits in the summer of 1990, just when the art market – it does not like – is experiencing an unprecedented crisis, is entitled “Just Pathetic”: “I have no taste for demiurges artists or for those who use political facts from their ivory tower, without committing. They are like preachers … I prefer …

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment